Pea Protein Intolerance

I had my first Mana order during the summer and reeeeeally wanted to like it but I kept getting a bad stomachache, headache and general sickness afterwards. I had one bad allergy incident once and broke out in hives. I later compared my reactions of this to vegan protein drinks that I have had in the past and was able to narrow down the culprit to pea protein.

That being said, as I had discovered my intolerance to pea protein, I saw that there is now increasing awareness of pea protein intolerance as more pea protein is used in the market. Clinics have also found some people with peanut allergies to have a cross-reaction with pea protein. So I just wanted to suggest the idea of removing pea protein or making a line of Mana without pea protein (maybe even substitute with whey or something else), as there are only a few companies now that make drinks without pea protein.

Unfortunately, I had to switch to a different company of drinks due to the intolerance, but I would love to switch back to Mana because of the nutritional profiles and company ideology.

Hello,

Thank you for your message :slight_smile:

Thanks for your suggestion and we are sorry to hear about your pea intolerance. On the other hand, I would like to explain to you why we use pea protein and haven’t found a good replacement for it yet.
In Mana Mark 6 we use six different protein sources: soybeans, peas, oats, brown rice, hemp, and algae. Each of these raw materials is a great sources of amino acids, but if you eat it separately, the spectrum won’t be full. So we mixed the sources all together and got a perfect protein blend, which covers the whole spectrum of amino acids. Pea protein is a high-quality protein and a great source of iron. It can aid muscle growth, weight loss and heart health. Pea protein contains all nine essential amino acids that your body cannot create and must get from food. However, it’s relatively low in methionine, which you can find in brown rice.

Unfortunately we don’t plan to replace this protein because of its health benefits. But you never know, maybe our Research&Development team will surprise us in the future!

Best regards,
Maria, Mana